We’re thrilled to welcome you to the Smart Museum of Art this summer to experience Toward Common Cause: Art, Social Change, and the MacArthur Fellows Program at 40 (July 15–December 19, 2021).
The Smart Museum has organized Toward Common Cause in collaboration with partner venues across the University of Chicago, the South Side, and the city of Chicago. Browse the full list of related projects and get additional information about visiting partner venues at the exhibition website, TowardCommonCause.org.
Thursday—Sunday, 11 am–4 pm
The Smart Museum is open to University of Chicago classes as well as available for individual or small group student research visits coordinated through the Feitler Center for Academic Inquiry.
Contact our visitor services team at 773.702.0200 or email@example.com.
Plan your visit
Make a reservation
As a continuation of our safety protocols during the pandemic, the Smart Museum will operate with hourly capacity limits and we encourage everyone to make a reservation in advance of their visit this summer.
Admission remains free of charge, and appointments are open to anyone who can safely visit.
What you can expect
The University of Chicago’s COVID-19 daily health protocols apply to everyone on campus, including visitors to the Smart Museum.
- Fully vaccinated individuals are not required to wear face coverings when indoors
- Unvaccinated individuals are expected to continue wear a face covering over the nose and the mouth at all times while in the Museum building
- The Museum is open to all, regardless of vaccination status
- We expect many members of our community will choose to maintain distance and use face coverings for various reasons, and we request everyone to act with consideration and understanding regarding these choices
- People should continue to carry a face covering with them in the event it is needed when on campus or in a University facility
- Anyone coming to campus is expected to self-monitor for symptoms and stay home if you have potentially been exposed to COVID-19 or have had any symptoms
A visitor’s decision to be present on campus and/or in University facilities serves as their acknowledgment and acceptance of the potential risks posed to them by COVID-19. Visitors and vendors are required to follow the University’s COVID-19 guidance applicable at the time of their visit.
This experience is open to all invitees regardless of vaccination status and, because of ongoing health risks to the unvaccinated, those who are unvaccinated are expected to adopt the risk mitigation measures advised by public health officials (masking and social distancing, etc.). Public convening may not be safe for all and carries a risk for contracting COVID-19, particularly for those unvaccinated. Participants will not know the vaccination status of others, including venue staff, and should follow appropriate risk mitigation measures.
The Smart Museum of Art is located on the north edge of the University of Chicago’s campus in Hyde Park. We are located 7.5 miles south of the Loop, and easily accessible by car or by public transit.
Smart Museum of Art
The University of Chicago
5550 S. Greenwood Avenue
Chicago, IL 60637
Please note, access to academic, dining, and campus arts facilities may be limited. For additional information, review the University’s latest updates on buildings and dining facilities.